This jackfruit (kathal / fanas) recipe is quick and easy to make.Kathal ki sukhi sabzi is a typical north Indian style recipe which is cooked in mustard oil. Well filtered groundnut oil also works nicely with it. Use raw jackfruit to make this sabji.
Now a day’s peeled sliced raw jackfruit is available in the market, you just need to wash ,make slices of your choice and proceed for cooking it.
If you won’t get this processed jackfruit here are few Tips to cut jackfruit at home
- Use glows or plastic bag to cover your hands before cutting jackfruit Or apply oil to your hands before cutting it
- Take lemon slice and apply it on knife while cutting jackfruit this avoids stickiness of jackfruit to stick on knife.
- Applying lemon slice on knife and jackfruit also avoids it from getting brown in color.
This is non fried jackfruit recipe, I hope you will enjoy it. Do Share your queries and suggestions for this recipe .
Ingredients for Kathal / Fanas / Jackfruit dry Sabji
- 2 cup jackfruit /kathal /fana sliced (preferably 1 inch, smaller slices cooks fast and it gives consistent taste)
- 1 medium size onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 /2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon jeera
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil / groundnut oil
Step By Step Directions to make Kathal / Fanas / Jackfruit dry Sabji
- Wash jack fruit and keep it aside
- Heat oil in pressure pan (cooker) and add jeera (cumin seeds) to it .
- Add grated ginger and garlic and sauté it for few seconds
- Add onion and sauté it until it becomes soft.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilly powder.
- Add jackfruit slices and mix it. Add garam masala powder and salt to it .
- Add 2 tablespoon of water and cover the pressure pan with the lid let it cook on low flame fr 10 -12 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to cooked kathal or jackfruit sabzi . Serve this recipe hot with roti or rice.