Yesterday, I went for a short trip to a calm and serene village. On my way back, I asked the farmer for 1 kg of Palak. This farmer was very generous. He packed almost 3 kgs of Palak. I wondered what I would do with so much palak. When I came back home, I gave some of it to my neighbor. Next day, I made Palak Paneer.My elder kid asked to make Spinach rice and I made that too. And still a lot of Palak was left in my refrigerator. After giving a 2 days’ break to green leafy veggies (:-)), I made this tasty Palak dosa for our breakfast. This recipe turned out so well that I had to share it with you all. It is a quick recipe with different types of flour that are available at home.
Why this dosa recipe is good for diabetics and pre diabetics
This Palak Dosa is easy to make Diabetic recipe. Diabetics have always a problem with white rice due to its high glycemic index. I have made this Dosa by mixing different types of flour which have low glycemic index as compared to white rice. I have added barley flour , oats flour, ragi flour, coarsely ground whole wheat flour to make this recipe. All this flour have low glycemic index as compared to white rice or even brown rice. We can use any of this flours to make this recipe.
Barley is an excellent food choice for those concerned about type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes because the grain contains essential vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source of dietary fiber, particularly beta-glucan soluble fiber. Research shows that barley beta-glucan soluble fiber promotes healthy blood sugar by slowing glucose absorption. Multi-grain dosas are high in complex carbohydrates and proteins. Complex carbs are great for energy production and this can help in exercise and losing weight. They have low glycemic index i.e. they break down slowly and can provide energy for longer period of time. Palak dosa made from multi grain flour with goodness of Spinach makes it very healthy. Spinach is rich source of calcium, iron, vitamin A, vitamin C
I have cooked Palak (spinach) in microwave or pan to make Palak puree (spinach puree). When Palak is cooked, I immediately added cold water to it. This method gives nice green color to Palak puree. This puree can be used in Palak based gravies like corn Palak, Palak paneer, Palak puri and even in Palak rice or khichdi. In this dosa I am using the same Palak puree.
I have explained step by step method to make this easy Palak dosa / spinach dosa from both multi-grain flour. Do share your suggestion for this recipe.
Ingredients to make Palak Dosa | Spinach Dosa
- 3 cups of mix flours (I have used oats flour, coarsely-ground whole wheat flour and barley flour)
- 1 cup low fat curd
- Water to make batter
- Salt as required
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped onion (optional)
Ingredients for Palak puree | Spinach puree
- 250 gms Spinach leaves (Palak ke patte)
- 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- 5-6 garlic cloves (lasan / lahsun)
Step By Step Method to Make Palak Dosa | Spinach Dosa
- You can cook Palak in microwave or by boiling it in pot or kadhai. Most of the times, I cook Palak in microwave when I want to make puree out of it. It is very quick and I get nice green Spinach puree.
- Wash the Spinach nicely and take it in microwave safe bowl with lid.
- Cook it for 3-4 minutes in microwave.
- Add ice cold water to it.
- Take cooked Spinach leaves in grinder jar and add chilies and garlic cloves to it.
- Make puree of cooked Spinach garlic and green chilies.
- take all the flours in a bowl.
- Add Spinach puree and curd to it.
- Add salt.
- Mix it and add little water to make Dosa batter out of it.
- I have also added finely chopped onion to it.
- Heat non-stick or caste iron tawa (griddle) and grease it with a little oil. Sprinkle a little water on the tava and wipe it off gently with cloth or kitchen napkin.
- Pour a ladleful of batter at the center of tawa and spread it in a circular motion from the center towards the sides of the tawa.
- Smear a little oil, ghee or butter over it. I have used gingelly oil (sesame seed oil/ til ka tel).
- Cook on high flames until it turns little brown.
- Flip and cook it on other side (as we are using multi-grain flour, we have to cook it properly).
- Serve it with peanut or coconut chutney.
Hope you enjoyed reading the recipe. Share your comments below and let me know what you think!