Bhatura (bhatoora,bhature) are fermented fried puris which are generally served with choley or channa masala , I have used only whole wheat flour and no maida to make bhatura. Bhatura is a fried dish and to use maida will decrease its fiber content, don’t add oil in bhatura dough , in place of that add boiled smashed potatoes (aloo) it will make your bhature very soft and will cut some fat calories ..
We can make bhaturas in two ways at home
Instant Bhatura (bhature) Recipe from Whole Wheat Flour & Soda Water
This is a quick bhatura recipe by which u can make bhatura at any time .To make instant bhatura we r not fermenting the bhatura dough as it takes lot of time, in place of that I have used club soda to make bhatura dough instantly.you can immediately use this dough to make instant bhaturas with chole or chana masala. I have explain step by step instant bhatura recipe and use some healthy option like whole wheat flour (gheu ka atta) and no maida to make this fast food .
Bhatura comes out really well from this recipe and it will not become chewy even when its cold. Potatoes ,sooji (semolina/rava) and curd makes this bhatura crispy as well as spongy .Share your queries or suggestions for this recipe.
Ingredients for Instant bhatura
- 4 cups of whole wheat flour (gheu ka atta)
- 1/2 cup semolina (sooji/rava)
- 1 cup smashed boiled potatoe (aloo)
- 2 tablespoon sour curd
- Plain soda water ( Club soda, Carbonated water)
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- Oil or ghee (clarified butter) for frying bhature
- Mix flour ,semolina ,sour curd and smashed potatoes nicely.Now add little Plain soda water (Club soda, Carbonated water) at a time and knead into a soft smooth dough for bhatura .Don’t add plain water for making the bhatura dough
- Divide the dough equally and make small balls of it.
- Keep oil /ghee to heat and prepare one plate by lining it with tissue papers so that we can keep the fried bhaturas in it and the extra oil will be soaked by tissue papers.
- Lightly flour a clean dry surface where you’re going to roll the bhatura and place one ball of dough on it.Roll it into oval shape bhatura
- Heat oil in a frying pan on high heat …to check if oil is hot enough drop a small piece of dough in oil it should float immediately to top.
- Then drop the rolled out bhatura gently in hot oil ,to avoid splashing of hot oil .After 5 -7 second with the slotted spoon press it gently in the centre this will make bhatura puff like a ball ,turn the bhatura and fry it on both side to make it little brown.take the bhatura out in a plate we have already prepared with tissue paper lining to absorb extra oil .
Tips for making Instant whole wheat flour Bhature
- Don’t add plain water to make a dough use plain soda (carbonated water, club soda)
- For frying bhatura oil should be hot and bhatura should be fried on high flame otherwise it will soak to much of oil.
Healthy options for making bhatura / bhature recipe
- Make bhatura dough in whole wheat flour rather using maida in it …
- Don’t add oil for making bhatura dough, instead of that use boiled smashed potato to make bhatura dough to make soft bhaturas
- If you want to cut more calories from bhatura roll bhatura dough into small chapattis and roast it on pan or skillet/ tava for this u can check healthy bhatura recipe
- We can also bake bhaturas but I haven’t tried it yet if you have any recipe for whole wheat baked bhatura do share it with me
To make whole wheat whole wheat flour bhatura from curd click