Rajbhogs are dry fruits stuffed rasgullas .This Bengali recipe is made from chenna (curdled milk). I use same techniques of how to make rasgulla to make this Rajbhog recipe very easy and quick. I make Rajbhog during Dushera festival ,Basant Panchami (as a sweet yellow color recipe)and sometimes its sunday special for my family.
- 2 litre whole milk
- 1/3 cup lemon juice(don’t use vinegar)
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 8 cup water
- 1 pinch of kesar for sugar syrup and 1 pinch of kesar (saffron)for rajbhog
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 10-15 chopped almonds or pistachios for stuffing
- Bring milk to boil in a heavy bottom pan .Add lemon juice to it.When milk curdles completely, remove the pan from heat .
- Then pour this curdled milk into muslin cloth or thin cloth and squueze out all the whey out of it (water remaing in curdled milk).Then wash it with plain water 2 -3 times so that the lemon juice is completely removed. Squeeze out the muslin cloth to remove water from it .The drained crumbled cheese formed is chena .We r going to use this chena for rajbhog preparations
Now we have to make this chena very soft.All the grainy part should become soft .
- I have added this chena to food processor and within few seconds it has become very soft
Add kesar (saffron) to this soft chenna and mix it nicely..
- Take a small portion of chenna in your palm.Now flatten this chenna and make a small circle like puri on your palm.
- Keep some chopped dryfruits in the centre of this circle
- Bring all the edges together , close the top and make a ball of it.
- Make all small balls of chenna with dryfruits stuffing like this .
- In a big vessel heat sugar and water and a pinch of kesar(saffron). When the sugar is dissolved and syrup comes to boil slowly add the rajbhog in it .They increase 2-3 times of its size so make sure to use big vessel to hold them easily .
- Keep it boiling on high heat. We have taken enough water so the the syrup will not become thick due to high heat (don’t cook it in pressure cooker you cannot check them once they r cooked )
- Let it cook for 25 minutes or until they r cooked .Take one rajbhog out and slightly apply pressureon it , if it comes back to original shape, its cooked
- Add cardamom powder in cooked Rajbhog and remove it from the heat.
- Refrigerate Rajbhog at least 5 hours before serving it .
Tips for making Rajbhog recipe easy and quick
- Use food processor to make chena soft .Don’t use the old traditional method of kneading the chena it takes lot of time .
- Always use whole milk for making rajbhog.
- Don’t use vinegar to curdle milk for chenna.