When we r kids we use to eat shikhran almost every alternate day in morning breakfast …Banana goes very well with milk than any other fruit …Fruits should not be eaten with milk (as said in ayurveda)but banana is the exceptional case… banana milk custard is very healthy and nutritious for kids as well as adult who needs something which is quick energy giving as well as healthy…it gives instant energy during vrath (fast ) time..my mom’s recipe was very simple to make shikran with three ingredients..bananna ,milk and jaggery(gul/gud shakkar) …I give little more flavor to this recipe by adding cardamom in summers and kesar (saffron) in winters …banana is rich in carbohydrate ,vitamin a and c ,with lots of fibres ,combination of this fruit with milk gives healthy recipe… [ingredients title=”Ingredients”]
- 2 ripened bananas
- 1 cup cold or warm whole milk/toned milk (for kids use whole milk)—I personaly prefer the cold milk (not chilled)
- 2 teaspoon jaggery (gul/gud shakar )powder/demerara sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grounded cardamom powder/ 1 pinch of kesar (saffron)
- 1 tablespoon raisins / dry black currants (manuka)
- 4 almonds
[/ingredients] [directions title=”Directions”]
Blanch almonds 🙂 Now the question is how to blanch almonds?
But its very simple boil a cup of water add almond in it boil it for 1 minute and immediately drain it in a colander or stainer rinse them with cold water ..u will notice that the almond skin is shrink ..Now with your fingers you can easily remove the skin of almonds..chop this blanched almonds for Banana custard (shikran) ..
- Remove the banana skin , cut it into small pieces and add it into milk
- Add powdered jaggery/demerara sugar , cardamom powder/kesar(saffron) washed black currants/raisins and chopped almonds
- Mix it and serve …
- Prepare this custard (shikran) when you want to eat it , don’t store it …
- Use ripened bananas for making shikran …
- Use cardamom for flavor in summers and kesar (saffron) in winters..Without any worries of cold you can eat shikran(banana ) custard in winters by adding 4-5 strands of saffron in it..
- Use Baby Bananas if you have cold problem after eating bananas
- Banana custard is strictly no no for diabetic people
- Don’t add plain sugar in place of jaggery(gul/gud shakar) /demerara sugar
[…] How to make shikran (Easy banana milk custard for vrath) […]