This palak / spinach rice recipe is a healthy rice recipe with a nice flavor of garlic and fresh coconut. This is easy to make rice recipe with spinach. My little toddler doesn’t like to eat plain rice with dal, so I make variety of rice recipes for her .she loves this palak rice and calls it green rice. To make this recipe more nutritious and tasty I have added fresh coconut to it. Fresh grated white coconut gives very tempting look to spinach rice. This recipe can also be cooked with coconut milk to make it tastier; well it will increase the calories of it. The following recipe which I have prepared is done without coconut milk; you can add coconut milk in place of plain water in this recipe. This fried spinach rice with garlic is a good option for lunch .
[box]Also check – Fried brown rice recipe [/box]
Different variations to make Fried Spinach /Palak Rice
- You can add fresh Paneer/Tofu pieces while cooking this palak rice to make it more nutritious.
- To make palak rice more colourful add carrot pieces, green peas, roasted peanut, grated coconut etc.
- You can also add potato slice in spinach rice while cooking it .
- If you eat egg add scrambled egg to cooked spinach rice.
- Add fresh lemon juice to palak rice according to your taste.
I have explained the spinach rice recipe with coconut and a nice garlic flavor. Do share what variations you do with your palak rice. Share your queries and suggestions for this recipe.
[ingredients title=”Ingredients to prepare Palak Rice”]
- 2 cups rice
- 1 cup water / coconut milk
- 100-150 gm palak (spinach) leaves /small bunch of palak (spinach)
- ¼ fresh grated coconut (nariyal)
- 2 green chilies (hari mirch)
- 6-7 garlic cloves (lehsun)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 3 teaspoon oil
- Salt to taste
[directions title=”Step By Step Directions to Make Palak Rice “]
- To make palak rice first wash rice nicely and soak it in 1 cup of water / coconut milk
- Wash palak (spinach leaves) and microwave it for 5-6 minutes or boil it.
- Immediately add cold water in cooked spinach
- Make a fine puree of palak (spinach) by adding little water make 1 cup of palak puree .
- Take green chilies, garlic cloves and 1 pinch of salt in mixer jar and make coarse paste of it .
- Heat oil in a pressure pan, add cumin seeds, green chilly garlic paste to it and sauté it for few seconds.
- Add rice with water / coconut milk (in which rice is soaked) let it boil .
- Now add palak (spinach) puree and lemon juice and little salt (as u have already added salt in chili garlic paste) to it. When it starts boiling cover the pressure cooker pan and cook it for 6-7 minutes on low flames. As the rice is soaked, it won’t take much time to cook.
- Add grated coconut, mix it and serve it hot with raita or kadhi or curd.