Sabudana Tikki Recipe
Sabudana ki Tikki is the tasty variation of Sabudana Vada. Sabudana Vada is a fried recipe made for fast (vrat , upas) .In Pune most eateries serve Sabudana Vada with curd and green chutney . By adding curd ,green chutney and tangy tamarind chutney you can make this Sabudana Vada even more tasty .Sabudana Vada soaks lots of oil so most of the time I make this roasted Tikki of Sabudana with Sabudana Vada batter. Sabudana Vada is high calorie snack as it is made of Sabudana (rich in carbohydrates) , peanuts (shengdana, moongphalli) which is rich in fats and potatoes , when you fry this ingredients, it soaks lots of oil and the calorie count increases almost 3-4 times . This non fried Sabudana Tikki tastes good and for calorie conscious its low in calories than Sabudana Vada.
How to Make Sabudane ki Tikki More Healthy ?
Sabudana has some health benefits it is rich in carbs and provides instant energy.Sabudana Tikki recipe which I have explained is for fast , vrat or upas , if you want to make it for just another day you can add finely chopped french beans ,carrot , cabbage ,cacapsicum ,grated paneer or tofu to make it rich in vitamins , fibers and proteins . With potatoes you can mixed this finely chopped vegetables in Sabudana Vada batter and make a healthy snacks for your kids .To enhance the taste of this you can add curd , green coriander chutney and tamarind chutney or serve them as it is as most of the kids loves finger foods as compare to runny one . As I said Sabudana has lots of carbs it provides instant energy . Well it doent have much nutritional value so you can add this vegetables and paneer or tofu to make it a complete food .
[box]Also Check- Sabudana khichadi recipe in marathi style[/box]
Sabudana recipes are generally made for fast ,upas or vrat ka khana . As I said Sabudana has high glycemic index so it provides instant energy during fast. Generally most of the people make Sabudana khichadi or Vada for vrath . In navratri vrat we want to make variety of Sabudana recipe and this recipe tastes awesome for this fast . Sabudana Tikki ingredients are same as Sabudana khichdi only there are slight changes while making it .
[box]Also check – Vrat recipes for Navratri fast[/box]
I have explained step by step instruction to make Sabudana Tikki for vrath and with vegetables as well . Do share your queries and suggestions for this recipe
[ingredients title=”Ingredients to make Sabudana tikki chat”]
Ingredients to Make Sabudana Tikki
- 2 cups Sabudana ()sago
- 2 boiled potatoes (aloo)
- ½ cup roasted peanut powder (bhajlelya shengdanyach kut /bhuni moongphalli ki powder )
- salt for taste
- 2 green chilies finely chopped (add it according to your taste)/ 1 -2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped corriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain / owa)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds ( jeera) / jeera powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice / 1-2 teaspoon amchur powder (optional)
- ½ cup grated Paneer (optional)
- oil for shallow frying
Ingredients to make dahi /curd for Sabudana tikki chat
- 2 cup fresh curd
- 2 teaspoon sugar / 2 teaspoon Demerara sugar 1 teaspoon sugar free natura
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients to make green coriander chutney for fast
- ½ cup green coriander
- 1 green chilly
- Salt to taste
Ingredients to make tamarind chutney for vrath ,fast or upas
- 1 lemon size ball of seedless tamarind (chinch / imli)
- 5-6 seeds less dates
- 1/2 teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth or soonth powder)
- Salt for taste
- 2 tablespoon grated jaggery or add it according to your taste
Optional ingredients to prepare Sabudana Tikki (not for vrat /upas)
- 1 cup finely chopped mixed vegetables (like carrot , french beans, cabbage )
- if you r not adding paneer you can use ½ cup grated tofu
[directions title=”Step by step Directions to make sabudana tikki chat “]
- Wash Sabudana 2-3 times .
- Add enough water 2-3 above the level of Sabudana .
- Soak 6-7 hours . Sabudana should be very soft when you make Sabudana Tikki .
- Remove skin of boiled potatoes and grate (kadookas / kisun) it .
- Take soft soaked Sabudana and all other ingredients except oil in bowl.
- Mix it nicely with your hands . Apply little pressure with your palm while mixing the mixture. Soft soaked Sabudana ,Boiled grated potatoe and groundnut powder will five nice binding to make Tikki.
- Heat non stick tava / girdle or flat frying pan add little oil and spread it nicely .
- Make small balls of Sabudana Tikki mixture
- Press it with your palms and make small disc shape. this discs are called as Tikkis in hindi .
- Place the Tikkis on hot tava or frying pan and cover it for 2-3 minutes on medium to low flame.
- Apply little oil on other side of Tikki and flip it and shallow fry it on other side . Shallow fry them on both side until golden brown .
- You can Serve this Tikki with green corriander chatni or make chat by following procedure
- Take a fresh curd and whip it briskly. add sugar and salt to it ,mix it and keep it aside .
- For green chutney wash coriander and chilly and grind it with little water and salt .
- For tamarind chutney (saunth ki chutney) wash tamarind and dates nicely and soak them in hot water for ½ hour . grind them together in a grinder and strain the pulp out of it . add jaggery and salt to this pulp and add ¾ cup of water to it . Boil it until it becomes little sticky. Don’t make this chutney very thick.
- Place the 2-3 sabudana tikki in a plate
- Pour 2 -3 tablespoon curd on it .
- Drop little tamarind chutney (saunth chutney) and green chutney to it.
- Sprinkle kashmiri mirch powder and garnish it corriander and serve this tasty chat for vrath
- If your not making this tikki for vrath add optional vegetables to Sabudana tikki batter .
- Make tikki from this mix vegetable sabudana tikki batter and shallow fry it on greased tava
- Serve this tikki with sauce or make the chat as explained above
- If you want you can fry the tikis on medium to low flame in hot oil .
My kids love the fried versionn of this Tikki . [/directions] Note – If you are making this Tikkis for vrath
- Dont add vegetables to it .
- Use sendhana namak in place of normal table salt.
- Dont add tofu , if you want you can add grated paneer (its optional)
- To make sabuda Tikki low in calorie go for roasted one . Its better to avoid fried food during fast.
[box]Also Check – Soft Tasty dahi vada chat recipe of North India [/box]