Before roasting the whole Eggplant ( Brinjal/ Aubergines) you should read following tips of buying good and fresh eggplant
- Fresh, younger, slender and the size and weight ratio are the things you should remember while choosing a eggplant for roasting or making any other eggplant recipe .
- the size and weight ratio of eggplant means when you hold the egg plant it should be light in weight as compare to its size . when you tap such eggplant it gives sound that indicates hollow inside. Such eggplant does not contain lots of seeds and the seeds r tender. Larger seeds of eggplants hold lots of bitterness
- fresh egg plant contains less seeds and less stringy the reason for this is as eggplants mature they become rich in alkaloids which gives bitter flavor.
- Also follow the instructions of buying eggplant which i have written in All about eggplants
Even after checking all this fundas sometimes there are hard seeds inside eggplant….remove it with spoon after roasting and also remove the strings otherwise it spoil the taste of your recipe.
There r lots of ways to roast eggplant to get the smoky flavor
Roasting whole eggplant directly on stove
Roasting whole eggplant on coal
Roasting whole eggplant on bonfire
You can roast eggplant also in oven but it doesn’t give the smoky flavour … roasted eggplant on bonfire gives the best smoky flavour 🙂
For roasting eggplant you need following preparations
Oil for brushing the eggplant
- Wash and dry the eggplant . with a fork pierce it all over few times to vent .
- Brush it with oil….place this eggplant on top of gas stove or coal or inside the bonfire …..if your roasting it on gas stove turn the flame little higher .. when the skin starts looking little burn make the flame medium and then roast it until the eggplant becomes very soft ..
- If your using grill coal on bonfire preheat before you start roasting
- Use tongs while roasting to turn the eggplant ….in case of bonfire you have to check it by removing it and pressing it ..
- When the stem side of eggplant becomes soft that means the roasting is done
- Before removing the charred skin allow it to cool for few minutes ….remove the charred skin ….cut the eggplant pulp and see if there is any worm if it’s there discard it immediately it happens some time so you have to check it before proceeding to roasted eggplant recipe.
you can use this roasted smoky flavoured eggplant for—
Spicy recipe of roasted eggplant with onion and tomatoes /baingan bhartha
Roasting Eggplant in microwave oven
If u want to roast whole eggplant in microwave just remember one thing it will not give smoky flavour …..
Still you want to roast eggplant in a microwave just wash and dry the eggplant , with a fork pierce it all over few times to vent ,brush it with oil(brushing with oil will enhance the process of roasting eggplant)…keep this eggplant in microwave safe dish… and keep on high power for 8-12 minutes …time of roasting will depend on size of eggplant…
Roasted or Baked eggplant tastes best in microwave if its in the form of pieces or slices… If u want to cook eggplant in microwave for some recipe just cut it into pieces and cook it according to its weight in microwave oven…
Eggplant recipes which tastes best in microwave cooking are