Gujarati Kadhi Khichadi at dinner time is a typical Gujarati menu. All Gujarati homes have different styles of making kadhi as gujarati thali is incomplete without kadhi,they add different spices like cinnamon (dalchini) , cardamom (elaichi) , cumin seeds (jeera )etc in there kadhi recipe. My Ba (grandmother) use to make kadhi in mud pot, this kadhi has the very nice flavor and it tastes best ,she never added lots of spices in her kadhi. Well this is her Gujarati kadhi recipe but not in mud pot!
This is easy Gujarathi Kadhi Recipe . I have explained step by step method to make this sweet white Gujarati kadhi from yoghurt / curd / dahi.
Ingredients for kadhi
- 2 cup curd (dahi)
- 2 glass water
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoon sugar
- ½ cup besan (chick pea flour)
For tempering kadhi
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 9-10 fenugreek seeds (methi dana )
- 1 teaspoon mustards seeds (rai / mohair/ sarson )
- 15 – 20 curry leaves
- 3 green chilies / round red chilies (boriya mirch)
- 1 inch finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 2 teaspoon ghee (clarified butter)
- Mix all the ingredient except the tampering ingredients. Whisk them well with hand blender or spoon or mathani /churner /ghotni and bring it to boil while stirring it continuously .
- For tempering Heat ghee in small frying pan add mustard seeds in it when it starts crackling add jeera & fenugreek seeds fry it for 2-3 seconds and then add asfoetida , finely chopped ginger ,green chilly pieces and curry leaves to it and fry it nicely .
- Pour this tempering over the boiling kadhi .Cook the kadhi 2-3 minutes on low flame and stir it continuously.
- Garnish it with coriander .Serve this Gujarati kadhi hot with khichadi or simply sip it with your meal.